Plants go through various phases in the course of the annual cycle.
- Winter dormancy
- Regrowth and flowering
- Producing new growth and fruit
- Short period of summer dormancy
- Consolidation of the new season’s growth
- Preparation for the winter dormancy
Bonsai like any other growing plant –responds to the seasons. You as the owner should then respond to nature.
- If the weather is warm and your bonsai will grow providing you supply the water they need, they grow, you trim and prune them.
- If it is cold and frosty and you have these precious trees in small pots, you must protect them, trees in the ground put roots down below frost level, no problem, but trees in small pots freeze easily.